In 2019, Sudan’s mass democratic uprising toppled the country’s dictator, Omar al-Bashir, and secured a power-sharing agreement between civilian leaders and the military with the promise of elections for a new government. The military has reneged on that pledge and carried out a coup on October 25, 2021, killing protesters and arresting activists across the country. The coup is not going unopposed. People are taking to the streets and workers are engaged in strike actions against the coup. It is vital that trade unions, students, and social justice activists take a stand and build solidarity and support for the Sudanese people’s fight for democracy, justice, and equality. Here is a draft resolution you can use in your trade union local, labour council, students’ union, or other organization to raise awareness and build solidarity with the people of Sudan who are resisting the coup.
For trade union locals, labour councils, student’ unions, and other organizations:
OPPOSE THE COUP IN SUDAN
- On October 25, 2021, the military under Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan dissolved Sudan’s transitional government, arrested Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, and declared martial law;
- Violence and mass arrests have been used to quell the resistance to military rule;
- The regime has singled out the Sudanese Teachers’ Union for its leadership role in resisting military rule and, since November 7, 2021, has arrested over 100 teachers:
Therefore, Be It Resolved That [insert your trade union local, labour council, students’ union, or organization here] will:
- Condemn in the strongest possible terms the coup in Sudan and the actions of the Sudanese military;
- Support strike action by education, health, airline, bank, oil, and other workers resisting the coup;
- Call for the release of all detainees; and
- Demand the withdrawal of the military from all parts of Sudanese civil society, including the education system, judicial system, economic system, etc.
Be It Further Resolved That [insert your trade union local, labour council, students’ union, or organization here] call on the Government of Canada to take the following steps:
- Cease all military and diplomatic cooperation with the Sudanese military, including the Rapid Support Forces, until the Sudanese state is fully sovereign and free to make economic, political, and security decisions without military influence;
- End arms sales to the Sudanese coup leaders’ regional backers (United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Israel);
- Support the right of workers to form trade unions and engage in strike action, as fundamental to all free societies; and
- Oppose any Western military intervention and instead call on the IMF, national governments, and commercial banks to cancel Sudan’s national debts, which are contributing to the economic crisis.
Please also sign and share the online petition: “No to the coup – cut links with Sudan’s military“
Did you like this article? Help us produce more like it by donating $1, $2, or $5. Donate